Friday, June 20, 2008

Action Movie One-Liners Don’t Work In Real Life

(Wesley Snipes talks on an airplane phone to hijacker and terrorist mastermind Charles Rane.)

In “Passenger 57”

SNIPES
You ever play roulette?

RANE
On occasion.

SNIPES
Well let me give you a word of advice: always bet on black.


In Real Life

SNIPES
You ever play roulette?

(pause)

RANE
Do I what?

SNIPES
Ever play roulette.

RANE
Why?

SNIPES
Just answer the question.

RANE
No, I don’t think I’ve ever played roulette.

SNIPES
Okay.

(pause)

RANE
Why do you ask?

SNIPES
No reason.

RANE
No, tell me why you asked me that!

SNIPES
It’s stupid.

RANE
What’s stupid?

SNIPES (sighs)
If you had said “yes,” I was going to tell you to always bet on black.

RANE
Why would I do that? That’s not a good strategy at all.

SNIPES
Look, just drop it.

RANE
I mean, more than half of the pockets on a roulette wheel are not black. They’re just as likely to be red. What the hell are you talking about?

SNIPES
I’m black.

RANE
Sorry, you cut out for a second.

SNIPES
I’m black.

RANE
Oh.

(pause)

SNIPES
So, yeah.

RANE
So it was a joke?

SNIPES
Kind of.

(pause)

RANE
We’re on the phone, how would I know you were black?

SNIPES
Just drop it.

RANE
And what color do you think I am? Red?

SNIPES
Look, the point is, I’m going to need you to land the plane and let all the passengers go.

RANE
No!

(RANE hangs up)

0 comments: