Saturday, June 14, 2008

Answer Key to Friday's Sketch

Okay. I realize I overreached so far on yesterday's sketch that it appears I've had a stroke. To assure you all, the ASPBV (American Society for the Protection of Blood Vessels) monitored the writing of that sketch and no blood vessels were injured in the production.

So here's a quick legend:

  • The patient is named Jim Halpert. If you don't know, he's a character on the American version of The Office. If you watch, you might remember this prank.
    • Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
  • The second man is Bear McCreary. That's two 'bears'. I specifically chose McCreary as the second Bear because he is the composer for BSG. Also writes a great blog on the process, here.
  • I should have been clearer about the soup that looks like blood. It's borscht. That's the 'beets'.
  • When Edward James Olmos shows up, that's the explicit BSG reference.
  • No next appointment for the patient until 2009 because last night was BSG's season finale.
  • One more throwaway joke: McCreary was wearing a yellow smiley face and spilled borscht on it. That joke will make a lot more sense to a lot more people in 2009, but if you've read The Watchmen, you should get it.
I'm not being defensive. I knew when I wrote the scene it had a limited audience. I just didn't realize I'd made it *that* limited! :)

Oh well. Next week will be better.

0 comments: