Friday, October 17, 2008

FSW: Best Friends Edition

Stop, hey what's that sound? Everybody look what's goin down....it's the FRIDAY SKETCH WAR - BEST FRIENDS EDITION!!! And this week, I took "war" a little too literally.

Richard gave our theme last week - not sure who theme duties fall to this week since Michael's status is up in the air, but Dave rejoined the battle week!

I'll post updated links as combatants report to the arena.

UPDATED: Michael snuck in when I wasn't looking (well before I posted actually), and gave us a tale of banks, dildos, and prarie dogs (welcome back to the blogospehere Michael - even if is just a Friday drive-by). He also provided next week's theme: Mad Scientist. More updates as others report in.

__________________________________________________________________

EXT. VIETNAM JUNGLE 1968 - NIGHT
Explosions and sound of automatic gunfire can be heard from every side - we’re in the middle of a nighttime jungle firefight. People are screaming and voices can be heard barking orders in military jargon, planes streak past overhead.

SOUTHSIDE, an African-American US soldier in his early 20’s enters, supporting CHARGER, a burly square jawed white soldier also in his early 20’s who appears to be wounded. Both wear jungle camo fatigues. SOUTHSIDE sets CHARGER down on the ground and pulls off his backpack. CHARGER grunts and grabs his leg in pain as SOUTHSIDE starts pulling medical supplies out of his pack and treating CHARGER.


SOUTHSIDE
Hang on man, we’re gonna to get you outta here. You’re gonna make it.

CHARGER
It’s bad man....I know it’s bad. You don’t have to lie to me.

SOUTHSIDE
Stay with me Charger....do not give up!

CHARGER
I always knew I’d buy it in ‘Nam, Southside...that I’d end up dying for my country. But...I....

SOUTHSIDE
You got something to say, now’s the time.

CHARGER
There’s a hundred ways to buy it in the Nam, Southside. But I’m glad I get to go with you by my side. You’ve been the best buddy a guy could ever have...always there for me no matter what.

SOUTHSIDE
Hang on man...hang on....we gonna get you home, I promise you.

CHARGER
No man, I ain’t gettin’ out of this jungle alive, but you are...and you gotta live for me...gotta do the livin’ for both of us from now on, you understand?

SOUTHSIDE
Yeah, I hear you....what you want me to do for you brother?

CHARGER
Make America mean something again....make it a shining beacon of truth and justice in the world
SOUTHSIDE
I will, man, I promise I will

CHARGER
Fight for clean air...

SOUTHSIDE
Until my dying day

CHARGER
And for pure water...

SOUTHSIDE
With every ounce of my strength...

CHARGER
And fight to make sure no black man ever becomes president.

SOUTHSIDE
Excuse me?

CHARGER
You gotta make that happen for me since I can’t!

SOUTHSIDE
Did you just tell me....ME...a black man, your best friend in Vietnam....the dude tryin to save your life, to make sure a black man never becomes president???

CHARGER
Oh thank God, you understand.

SOUTHSIDE
What the fuck Man?You can NOT be that much of a redneck. We been best friends the entire time been in country, and the whole time we were in bootcamp before that. My redneck detector would have gone apeshit a long time ago if you were bullshittin this whole time..

CHARGER
Power and money is all us white guys have left.

SOUTHSIDE
Ain’t that enough?

CHARGER
No man...Black musicians are cooler than whites, black athletes are better than white atletes, black men have bigger...

SOUTHSIDE
That’s a myth.

CHARGER
Remember the barracks showers at Fort Bragg?

SOUTHSIDE
(smiling)
Okay, you got me. But look...we may be great athletes, but it’s rich white guys that own the teams.

CHARGER
Just when we’re old - it’s the only way white guys get laid after 55.

SOUTHSIDE
Good point.

CHARGER
Look man...white guys are losing all the cool stuff. Being president is the last great dream white kids can have without fear of competition.

SOUTHSIDE
So I should never let a black man be president.

CHARGER
Never

SOUTHSIDE
Not even if the whole country is going to shit and the black man in question was like super-smart and had all kinds of great ideas on how to fix things?

CHARGER
Every dumb white person in the US would move to Canada if a smart black man had to bail their asses out.

SOUTHSIDE
Might not be so bad.

CHARGER
You want a war with Canada?

SOUTHSIDE
Charger, man, I love you like a brother, but you ask too much

CHARGER
It’s my dying wish man...you gotta do this for me

SOUTHSIDE
What if our positions were reversed....what if I were dying and told you you’d HAVE to vote for a black president someday if the right guy came along?

CHARGER
I.....I don’t know....

SOUTHSIDE
What if I was dyin’ cause I took a bullet to save you?

CHARGER
Yeah..I’d do it for you...without thinking...you’re my best friend...I’d owe you my life

SOUTHSIDE
So IF you owed me your life, you’d vote for a black president someday?

CHARGER
If I owed you my life, I’d do anything to repay that debt.

SOUTHSIDE
Then you, my brother, are votin’ black.

CHARGER
What?

SOUTHSIDE
Man I stopped you bleedin’ five minutes ago. You’re gonna be fine.

SOUTHSIDE helps CHARGER stand up. CHARGER tests his leg, looks down and see that it isn’t bleeding.

CHARGER
Shit

SOUTHSIDE
C’mon man, let’s get you back - an evac helicopter just landed over there

SOUTHSIDE helps CHARGER limp offstage

SOUTHSIDE
What about a woman president?

CHARGER
No way...maybe a woman vice president if she was really hot.

SOUTHSIDE
Plays into that whole great white dream thing again doesn’t it?

CHARGER
(smiling)
Oh hell yeah.

BLACK OUT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Charger's who, the guy who tricked McCain into picking Sarah Palin? :D

Anonymous said...

Nice, Ken.