Sunday, November 9, 2008

Reconciliation

(LUCAS and JOSH, mid-thirties, enter the Brant Street Café. They sit side-by-side at the counter.)

LUCAS
Wait till you try the chicken noodle soup here. It’s the best I have ever tasted.

JOSH
I think I’m going to have a grilled cheese.

LUCAS
I’ll tell you what, man: you go your way, I’ll go mine.

(pause)

JOSH
You seem agitated.

LUCAS
I’m not judging you. There comes a time in everyone’s life when they decide what kind of person they are. I don’t claim to understand your choice, nor will I judge you for it.

(pause)

JOSH
Thank you.

LUCAS
I don’t know what series of events led to your choice of a grilled cheese. I haven’t walked that road. All I know is what’s right for me, and it is the chicken noodle soup.

(pause)

JOSH
Should I get the chicken noodle soup?

LUCAS
Don’t patronize me.

JOSH
Listen, what is your problem?

LUCAS
I’m thirty-five years old. I was in the shower this morning, staring at the tiles, and it hit me: I am never going to publish that novel. I am never going to present my parents with a grandchild. I am never going to make partner. Every day that goes by is another staple stamped into my life, and it’s becoming clearer and clearer the shape of who I really am.

JOSH (mildly alarmed)
Whoa. Whoa. What the hell?

LUCAS
No, listen. I’ve reconciled myself to it. I’m not the guy who’s going to live passionately about any of those things I thought I’d live passionately about. But I’ll tell you what’s still in my power: the chicken noodle soup at the Brant Street Café. I’ve had it everywhere in the city, and I am prepared to state unequivocally that it is best here. I am an expert on nothing else. But I have this.

JOSH
Okay. Okay. Take it easy.

(A WAITRESS enters.)

WAITRESS
What can I get for you guys?

JOSH
I’ll have a grilled cheese.

WAITRESS
All righty. And you?

LUCAS (looking clearly and directly into her eyes)
The chicken noodle soup.

WAITRESS
I’m sorry, guy – we’re just out. I can get you a cream of mushroom?

(pause)

LUCAS (bravely)
Yes. Okay.

WAITRESS
It’ll be right out.

(WAITRESS exits.)

(pause)

JOSH
I thought you hated mushrooms.

LUCAS
Don’t try to pen me in, man!

JOSH
All right.

LUCAS
I am going to eat the hell out of that cream of mushroom soup. Try to stop me!

JOSH
I won’t.

LUCAS
I’ll tear your arm off.

(pause)

(The WAITRESS crosses again, and JOSH flags her down.)

JOSH
Miss? I think I’d also like a bowl of cream of mushroom, if that’s all right.

WAITRESS
Sure thing!

(The WAITRESS exits. LUCAS and JOSH sit in silence.)

0 comments: